Wednesday, September 19, 2012


Shake, Rattle & Know: Creator wraps up zombie film 'Our Last Day'




Filmed on locations across Brevard County, and with a cast comprised of residents, the independent film “Our Last Day” has finally wrapped after four years of hard work and trying times. The brainchild of writer/director/editor James Belfi, “Our Last Day” is a modern-day zombie thriller full of blood, sweat and fears.

Working on the film two days a week for the past eight months while serving as a production assistant in New York trying to get his foot in the film business’ front door, Belfi relied on a dedicated crew that included actors Dave Velardi, Katya Schmidt, Matthew Fitzgerald, Javona Angelique, Pete Lynch and Anall Kapadia.

He also recruited effects crews including Geraldine Reimbas, who attended the Joe Blasco’s Effects School in Orlando, and writer/composer Kevin Cummines to produce the film’s musical score.

I spoke with James about the movie, the “zombie craze,” and his plans for the film. Let’s Shake, Rattle & Know: James Belfi

Question: Tell me about “Our Last Day.”

Belfi: It is a big horror-action movie centered around six friends who try to survive a zombie apocalypse. The film is done in comic book fashion. I refer to it as a living comic book.

Q: Do you think shows like “The Walking Dead” will help spark interest in a film such as yours?

Belfi: One would hope. That is a terrific show. I never read “The Walking Dead” comics; I’m not much of a comic book guy, but that is a great show. I’m hooked. I hope the film will share similar fans. The entire subgenre of zombie fans will like something new. This was a film we started four years ago, even before “The Walking Dead” was on the air, so the success of the show will be nothing but a help for the film.

Q: With the film taking four years to complete, how did you keep the actors and the crews engaged?

Belfi: Everyone involved are all good friends of mine. They knew it wasn’t because of being lazy. We were running on no money and still trying to make a beautiful and creative film. I had lost my job because the company went out of business, I had a child, I moved and I was just not able to invest in the film. I had to wait for things to come around, and I was fortunate to have such understanding friends. I lived in Port St. John for nine years, and all the actors are from Brevard and all stayed very loyal to the project.

Q: Why do you think the zombie genre has always captivated people?

Belfi: To me, it’s a sense of apocalypse; it’s the end of the world. It’s knowing that if all the dead came back to life, you will always be outnumbered. It scares people because zombies are people you know — they are family and friends, and it’s the sense of dread and the dilemma of “what do I do now?”

Q: Some of the scenes in the film are so incredibly remote. How did you find some of the locations used in the film?

Belfi: We used my house in Port St. John as a staging area. We also found a house in the middle of the woods in Canaveral Groves. I left a note on the homeowner’s fence and was surprised when he called back. We were able to work out an agreement and the location couldn’t have been any better. It seemed so desolate and was exactly what I was looking for in the film.

Q: What is it you hope to do with the film now that it is completed?

Belfi: We hope to hit the festival circuit. We will be showing it at the Enzian Theater in Maitland on Nov. 25. We are talking to some places in Brevard County as well and hope someone will give it a shot, even if only for a one-time showing. The entire film was shot in Brevard County and all the actors are from Brevard, so we hope to show it in Brevard.

Q: What got you interested in filmmaking?

Belfi: I have wanted to do this ever since I was a kid. I used to love going to the movies with my mom, my grandmother, or anyone who would take me. Those were some of my greatest memories. I would also watch the Sunday midday matinees full of B-horror films and I would just soak them all in. I knew that is what I wanted to do someday. I finally got up the nerve and put together some short films, and I even entered and did well in the Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival.

Q: Zombie movies have been around a very long time, so how difficult was it to write a script that was original yet still true to the genre?

Belfi: I think my living comic book concept sets it apart. It is a unique way of storytelling and uses unique visuals. It also is an ensemble cast and isn’t focused on a single “hero.” The film follows a group of people you can relate to in some way. They are the type of people you are friends with. The characters have a back story without the audience seeing it. You just know there is more to the characters. I looked at the genre as a whole and tried to give that feeling in a different way.

For more information, visit www.jslentertainment.com.




~floridatoday.com


No comments:

Post a Comment