Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Resident Evil: Degeneration (2008)



Director: Makoto Kamiya
Writer: Shotaro Suga
Synopsis: A warrior seeking revenge unleashes a deadly virus in Harvardville. Responding to the threat are former special forces members Leon S. Kennedy and Claire Redfield, who look to bring down a mutated monster before history repeats itself.

Think of a 97 minute video game cut scene!

ACTING: All I have to comment on is the voice acting of the characters. As usual, along with any other Resident Evil game, the voice acting is hit and miss. Some were really good and convincing, and some were just awful. Perhaps it's the lines that the characters have to say, I dunno.

PRODUCTION: The only thing that I can comment on here is CGI. I really thought before seeing this, that it would probably be an excellent CGI production. I was kinda disappointed. While fitting seamlessly into the Resident Evil game scenes, that's about it. I guess I thought that this would be above and beyond current CGI projects out there, but it seems dated and stiff. The plot, unfortunately, is very restricted to die hard Rez Evil players, as many references are made to events that happened in the games. If you aren't that hardcore of a Rez Evil fan, don't try to understand anything, because you will be lost.

ZOMBIES: The zombies in Resident Evil: Degeneration are the same types from the games. Slow, plodding and hungry. There is nothing really new here brought to the zombies here. I was disconcerted to find that the appearance of zombies was very minimal. While in the games, I realize that there were many more enemies (crows, dogs, lickers, hunters, etc.) I had hoped (especially after playing Resident Evil 4) that a return to old school zombies would be here, but no.

THE CAUSE: If you don't know by now, then why are you watching this movie?

NUDITY: None

FINAL: While I didn't hate this, I didn't love it either. I really thought that this would hold its own against the movie series and be more faithful to the games. While it could easily be placed into a game as cut scenes, it just didn't do it for me as a full length feature. Perhaps with higher production values (and more zombies), it could've been the movie it should have been.

RATING: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment